Press "Enter" to skip to content

Rocky Boy Councilman Michael Corcoran Dies

Michael “Big Mike” Corcoran, a Rocky Boy Councilman and beloved community member, was found dead late Monday afternoon.

“He passed away,” Rocky Boy Chief of Police Larry Bernard confirmed Tuesday morning.

Corcoran was 45 year old.

Corcoran died of natural causes, as stated in his obituary. The Hill County Sheriff confirmed Wednesday morning that Corcoran’s death is being analyzed as per typical protocol and nothing appears to be suspicious.

KHEW, the Rocky Boy radio station where Corcoran was a mainstay, mourned his passing with a Facebook post:

“Tonight KHEW lost our guy. Big Mike passed away, he was here from day one out strongest supporter who’s love for the station and this tribe was unmatched by anyone. If you where lucky enough to meet him you where automatically a friend. Michael was a guy who would do anything for you at the drop of a hat no questions asked. He always wanted to see you do your best and excepted the best from you. “

The Rocky Boy Health Center also issued a statement on Corcoran’s untimely death:

“The Rocky Boy Health Center would like to extend our deepest sympathies to the family of Michael ‘Big Mike’ Corcoran during their difficult time of loss. … He will be always be remembered as the voice of KHEW radio. His humorous, witty personality will not be forgotten.

“Rest In Peace Sir.”

Don’t miss any news. Sign up for the free Herald newsletter to receive the latest news delivered straight into your inbox

For a long time, Corcoran was the morning disc jockey at KHEW. He also worked for a while at the Northern Winz Casino as the marketing agent, but his heart was always with the radio station.

Corcoran was elected to the tribal council in 2018. Council appointed him as the Rocky Boy representative to the Missing Indigenous Persons Task Force that the 2019 Montana Legislature set up. He advocated better relations between Havre and Rocky Boy. He organized a Rocky Boy float for the 2018 Festival Days Parade.

There will be a wake, with a Rosary Service, Tuesday night at 7 p.m. at Our Saviour’s Lutheran Church. The funeral will be Wednesday at 10 a.m., also at the Lutheran Church.

The Havre Herald will add to this story as more information becomes available.

Editor’s note: This story has been updated to include comment from the Hill County coroner.

Email Paul Dragu and John Kelleher at (406) 262-7778
Share via
Copy link
Powered by Social Snap